Please pass this invite on! Deadline April 1, 2012.
We are pleased to announce that Pulitzer Prize winning author, critic, poet and scholar Lloyd Schwartz is our 2012 judge. This NPR Commentator is a good friend of the WCPA and just joined us for this past year’s Elizabeth Bishop Centenary Celebration with a wonderful reading at WPI. Winning Poems are also all published in the 2012 Edition of the nationally recognized journal The Worcester Review.
– Poems must be the original work of the entrant, in English, and not previously published.
– Submit no more than THREE (3) poems in any form.
– Manuscripts should not be stapled or attached in any way.
– Poems must be typed on 8 1/2″ x 11″ white bond paper. Clean and clear photocopies are acceptable. Email submissions will not be accepted.
– Do not put your name on the individual poems!
– Include a cover sheet with your name, address, telephone number, and the title of each poem.
– Mail contest submissions to: WCPA Poetry Contest 2012, 1 Ekman Street, Worcester, MA 01607
(More details under the fold.)
Who is eligible?
– Residents of Worcester County, or WCPA Members in good standing or
Students or employees of institutions within Worcester County.
– First Place winners of previous WCPA annual poetry contests are not eligible.
– THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE FOR WCPA MEMBERS.
– Non-WCPA members: $5.00 to submit up to 3 poems (not per poem). Make checks payable to: Worcester County Poetry Association. You may join the WCPA or renew your membership with your entry: $12 Student/Elders/Low Income Membership; $30 Individual Membership. Go to Membership Page for additional membership categories.
All entries must be postmarked by April 1, 2012 (Note: April 1st is a Sunday this year so please make sure your submissions are postmarked by end of day on Saturday). Follow contest guidelines carefully; entries not in compliance may be disqualified.
Judging and Awards:
First Place $100 – Second Place $50 – Third Place – $25. Winning poems published in The Worcester Review, after which all rights revert to poet. Contest winners announced June 2012. Winners’ Reading & Award Ceremony to be held September 2012. WCPA Poetry Contest does not pre-select poems: all entries are seen by the contest judge
Additional Notes: Submissions will not be returned. Entrants who wish to be notified of contest results must enclose a self-addressed, stamped envelope with their entry.